In this workshop, Landon Blake teaches a full daty workshop on determining land boundaries. Here is an outline for the workshop:
- Deeds and Land Descriptions
- Types of Land Descriptions
- Establishing Boundaries on the Ground
- Handling Uncertainty in Location and Level of Risk in Boundary Surveys
- Basics of Title Insurance
- Understanding ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys
- Understanding Easements
As part of the workshop, Landon will answer the following questions:
- What are the important differences between deeds and land descriptions?
- What are the basic types of land descriptions?
- Who should write land descriptions, and why?
- What belongs in a land description, and what doesn’t?
- What workflow does a surveyor typically follow to map a land description onto the ground?
- How does our land title system work in the United States, and what are its historical roots?
- What is the purpose of an ALTA/NSPS land title survey?
- How are land title surveys abused? What should always be included in your land title map, and what should never appear on your map?
- What are the primary types of easements, and how are they created?
- How are easements abandoned?
As time allows, Landon will cover recent court cases from the Western United States related to boundary surveying and easements.
Total Workshop Time: 6 to 8 Hours
- Audience Outline
- Notes for Audience
- Land Title Survey Standard Changes
- Sample Land Descriptions
- Sample ALTA/NSPS Land Title Survey
- Assessor Map 179-30
- Parcel Map 24-123
- Parcel Map 24-184
- Record of Survey 33-103
- Record of Survey 37-115
- Article: The Weight of Monument Placement
- Article: The Roots of the American Real Property System Part 1
- Article: The Roots of the American Real Property System Part 2
- Article: The Roots of the American Real Property System Part 3
- Article: Don’t Practice Law When You Write Land Descriptions
- Court Decision: Batto Versus Schultz
- Court Decision: Blackmore Versus Powell
- Court Decision: Haines Versus Farley
- Court Decision: Ruebe Versus Parsa
- Court Decision: Scruby Versus Vintage Grapevine