Project documentation is a critical, and often neglected, element of professional land surveying. In this workshop we talk about why it is important to write surveyor reports, on what type of projects you should write reports, and when during a project is the best time to write surveyor report content.
The morning session is 3.5 hours long. In the morning session we explain what a surveyor report is, tell you why surveyor reports are important, and explain how to write surveyor reports using a note-taking system and template system.
The afternoon session is 3.5 hours long. In the afternoon we look at how to write 4 example surveyor reports for 4 different types of projects.
What You Will Learn
- What surveyor reports are.
- How surveyors reports fit in with other types of project documentation.
- Why surveyor reports are important.
- How to use a note taking system to write surveyor reports.
- How to use a template system to efficiently write surveyor reports.
- How to write surveyor reports for GNSS contorl surveys.
- How to write surveyor reports for construction staking surveys.
- How to write surveyor reports for elevation certificates.
- How to write surveyor reports for boundary surveys.
Landon has practiced as a licensed land surveyor in Central California and Western Nevada for 15 years. He specializes in providing surveying services to support the design and maintenance of large public works. These public works include dams, levees, canals, pipelines, roads, and railroads.
Landon has been interested in improving business practices for land surveyors since he first started managing projects over a decade ago. He also believes surveyor reports are a key in defending a land surveyors work when conflicts or investigations occur.
Part 1: Surveyor Reports - Why, When and How
- What surveyor reports are.
- How surveyor reports relate to other types of project documentation.
- Why you should write surveyor reports.
- When you should write surveyor reports.
- How to write surveyor reports using a note-taking system.
- How to write surveyor reports using a template system.
Part 2: Example Reports
- Surveyor reports for GNSS control surveys.
- Surveyor reports for construction staking surveys.
- Surveyor reports for elevation certificates.
- Surveyor reports for boundary surveys.
Part 3: Extra Stuff
- Using your surveyor reports in a licensing board investigation.
- Using your surveyor reports in conflict resolution.
- Tools that can help you with effective report writing.
The workshop will answer these questions:
- What is a surveyor report?
- How do you implement a note-taking system for surveyor reports?
- What do you put into your surveyor reports templates?
- What types of projects should get a surveyor report?
- Why should you write surveyor reports?
- What are tools that can help you with effective report writing?
The workshop will include the following exercises:
- Analyzing a boundary survey to determine unanswered questions.
- Thinking about judgement calls made on elevation certificates.
- Developing a plan for better project documentation in your organization.
Professional Development Hours
You should be able to count 3.5 hours of professional development for the morning session of the workshop and 3.5 hours for the afternoon session of the workshop. This is a total of 7 hours for both sessions. (Please check with your licensing board or certifying authority on the eligibility of this workshop for your specific continuing education requirements.) If you attend both sessions and pay for the afternoon session, we will send you an attendance certificate for both the morning and afternoon session.
Take This Training As An Online Course
This training is offered as an online course for individuals and groups. Certification of course completion is available. If you would like to take this training as an online course, or would like us to offer an online course to your team, please reach out to Landon Blake by e-mail.
Customize This Training For Your Organization
Redefined Horizons can customize this training to meet the specific needs of your organization. We can add or remove topics, craft examples from your practice, and design systems to measure team member learning. If you are interested in customizing this training for your organization, please reach out to Landon Blake by e-mail.
Landon teaches several other workshops on business for land surveyors and civil engineers. These workshops include:
- Ethics and Standard of Care for Land Surveyors
- Best Practices for Acquiring Land Surveying Services
- Surveyor Reports – Why, When and How
- Meeting the Challenge of Skilled Worker Shortages in Land Surveying and Civil Engineering
- Creating Survey/Civil Engineering Organization Structure That Aligns With Your Business Strategy
- Why Standard Business Processes are Critical to the Sucess of Your Land Surveying or Civil Engineering Organization
Learn about these and other workshops on the Redefined Horizons Talks and Workshops web page.
Host This Workshop
Would you like to host this workshop at your organization or in your community? Redefined Horizons teaches workshops across the Western United States. If you are interested in hosting this talk, please contact Landon Blake by e-mail.
We can offer the course at a discount for members of your organization or support a local scholarship of your choice if you host the workshop.